WP blogger Krista says ~ write a post inspired by a response to the “Threes” photo challenge or based on three photos you supply.
Bellagio, Italy ~ si tratta di una fantasia dolce.
It’s a sweet fantasy.
In Bellagio, the lights of Villa Serbelloni shimmer on the surface of Lake Como, turning it into a theater of the sky. A waltz plays. Laughter from the terrace sweeps across the water. Napoleon, Liszt, Roosevelt, and Valentino once gazed at the sunset and wandered in these gardens where I stand. Isadora Duncan fingered the heavy velvet drapes. Susan Sontag relaxed with the Herald-Tribune. Counts, stars, and heiresses walked on the Persian carpets; Mussolini burned the floors for firewood. Today a cherry-red Ferrari waits for a tow truck near the statue of Pan.
Hordes of tourists barrel down the streets of Bellaggio and art lovers stand cheek-by-jowl at Villa Carlotta. But just a stone’s throw from the crowded ferries and busy roads is a trail that begins in Cadenabbia, a village of mosaics and chapels. Sheltered by trees and marked by a slender bell tower, bouquets of chestnut and wild cherries linger on its stony parapets and marbled stairs. The waters of Lake Como ring with the floating bells of fishermens’ nets. Sweeping up from the shore, the trail leads to a mountain church glued to the hill and the voice of the goat woman echoes near the Stelvio Pass.
The alpine path leads to an ancient Roman fortress of the Middle Ages. Castello di Vezio, a group of stony houses home to twenty families, perhaps fifty people, who live in the restored buildings first occupied by the Etruscans. An hour’s steep climb from Varenna, the hamlet of Vescia hides its past near the trail to the castle. In the fourteenth century, falconers and winemakers labored inside the embattled tower walls and in underground passages. Locals tell me that Queen Teoldolinda, who wore an iron crown of jewels embedded with a nail from Christ’s cross, slept here. Now, it’s an osteria where a mother and daughter serve panini, guffaw over The Simpsons and never miss an episode of CSI: Miami dubbed in Italian. Mama works at her laptop while daughter cooks. I think Queen Teodolinda would like it here.
I ask myself, Is this a dream?
Will it all vanish into air?
Is there a land of such supreme
And perfect beauty anywhere?
Other posts for ‘Threes’
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Abandoned, 03.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- The More | field of thorns
- Dreams Insult My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Pillow talk | Never Stationary
- stone | FamousFeline
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | A mom’s blog
- Smile | The Seeker’s Dungeon
- Threes: Haikus from Pictures! | Blue Loft
- Winter Storm Titan Haikus | Fish Of Gold
- A Tribute to my Mum – the Unbeatable Woman | Dreams Will Catch You
- Confession About My Boy Band Obsession | Embracing the Journey
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes – Tori Sinks with the Sun | Just Be V
- Gone with the Waves | Artfully Aspiring
- It’s In The Lost & Found | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- Spring’s here! | Scent of Rina
- Haiku X 3 | Musings of a Soul Eclectic
- Do You Have Silver Ties? | Home’s Cool!
- Friends far away | Nagoonberry
- House in three photos! | Scrapydodog
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes – Long walks and dark chocolate
- The Road Maps of Life | Lifestyle | WANGSGARD
- If anybody asks, you didn’t see me. | Trucker Turning Write
- Coach Athlete | The Wind Beneath Their Arms
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes~~Sheila’s Poem |
- Blue Boredom Tape Men: Battle of the Pepsi graveyard | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Natasha’s Challenge | Mary J Melange
- abandoned, broken, and dreaming | memoirs of an unremarkable man
- The Simple Pleasures | Outmanned
- Iditarod Trail Invitational | pencil me in
- Innermission | The Shady Tree
- A Tale of Two Worlds | Victoria.K.Gallagher
- Seven Icicles, Part One | Stealing All the Sevens
- Inspiration of a pocket watch | live simple
- Lady By The Lake — 3 Images /1 Story | eyevpointofview
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes (Skulduggery) | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)
- Writing Challenge | Tania Speaks
- This is Why I Talk to Strangers | Your Goofy Girl
- Threes: A letter to my baby – Weekly Writing Challenge | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Threes… Well that’s a triptych to me! « Alison Spedding Photography
- Lebanon Trashed – by Loujain Rabbat | live simple
- Give Peace a Chance.. | live simple
- I don’t know which one is the real me. The person before alcohol or the one after! | live simple
- Seeking Adventure? | live simple
- A weekend on the Road | live simple
- Have you ever written your own obituary? | live simple
- Hello Mr. Breakfast! | live simple
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | Thinking Languages!
- My Religion is Dirt | the intrinsickness
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | imagination
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | Morrighan’s Muse
- The Memory Eater | Really Short Stories
- The Waiting Game – Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes. | Romance Writer
- Three times Three: When pictures paint a Haiku!!! | D Lonely Stoner
- Sand, Sea and … | Tattered Stamp
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Haiku In Threes | Mirth and Motivation
- He who loved the snow! | imwritinagain
- The Blog Farm | Weekly Writing Challenge: Haiku In Threes
- The Importance Of A Mother’s Instinct | So I want to be an author…
- Silence | Alex Waldegrave
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | The Willows Weeped
- Silence – the ‘threes’ photo challenge | Alex Waldegrave
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Variety | linkva
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | Holoholo Girls
- capturing sweet nothings
- Hard Rain | Funk House Art Garden
- Sekreku Rumahku | The Frozen Tears
- When “Normal” was Normal | Love, Support, Educate, Advocate, Accept…
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | Chiquitita
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | life n me!
- Thanks to Those Who Wrote | Cardinal Guzman
- Adventures in Expat Living: Offering the Unexpected in everything from Creativity to Toilet Training | reinventing the event horizon
- i am telling you i’m not going | Work in Progress…
- Suicide no. 31: S.O.S. | derekalanwilkinson
- The Lake at Cwm Symlog calls to me… | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | alienisme
- The Road to Whitney Portal | the intrinsickness
- Crazy Little Sister | Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth
- The 4th of March 2014 – The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, Washington, D.C. | Forgotten Correspondance
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | In my world
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Threes | medicinalmeadows
- A whole new world! Or should I say HTML code? | Happy Trails
- The Talented Mr Potato | Emovere
- One Lump Of Snow, Or Two – Weekly Writing Challenge – Threes | Simply Silent
- DP Challenge (Threes): Birth of the Sun | one hundred thousand beats per day
- Weekly writing challenge: Threes | Window on my world
- Good Things Come in Threes | Life’s Unfiltered Ramblings
- Touching the Mirage
- Abandoned Buildings in Post-Conflict West Africa | The Human Rights Warrior
- Three Homes, Three Years | the TEMENOS JOURN